Wednesday, October 8, 2008

INTRAMURAL BOWLING PHOTO ESSAY

Here is the photo essay I've been working on. I was able to capture some interesting photos. Below the video are the captions that correspond to each photo. Check it out and leave me some feedback. Enjoy!


INTRAMURAL BOWLING PHOTO ESSAY


For the past seven years, Dominican University students have geared up for a night of bowling at Forest Park’s Circle Lanes. This semester, Student Involvement is sponsoring a competitive intramural league as well as open bowl for all DU students every Monday. The intramural teams play from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.; open bowlers play from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m.



This year’s intramural league has four teams of two to three players. Student Involvement Coordinator Rachel Costello created a new, flexible arrangement for tournaments so more students will participate. “In the past, the league played an eight- to six-week tournament,” she said. “This year, we have two four-week tournaments. It’s easier for students to commit to four weeks rather than eight.”



Junior Jim McQuillan has participated in DU’s intramural bowling for the past three years. “It’s different and definitely better than last year. Last year, competitive play started at 10:00 at night. People that wanted to play couldn’t because of night class and other obligations.” McQuillan, who bowled in a previous league for six years, arrived with his own bowling equipment, including the bowling shoes you see here.


For the first time, DU’s intramural league and open bowl take place on the same night. The average night of Dominican bowling costs about $180.00, according to Costello. “Last spring semester’s intramural and open bowling cost a total of about $3,000,” she said. “This semester the total cost will range from $1,500 to $2,000.” This cost covers three hours of bowling and shoe rental.



Freshman Brian Lukasiewicz commutes from Chicago every Monday to bowl with his team. “I played on my high school’s varsity bowling team,” he said. “This is one of my hobbies that I enjoy the most. We have a lot of fun out here but it can get pretty cutthroat at times.”



Freshman Alonzo Banks brings his “A-game to the lanes.” “Even though we joke around a lot of the time, my team and I are in this to win,” he said. “We get better every week. Our team is pretty competitive, and I think we’ll be the champions.”



Even DU graduate students participate in the intramurals. Mary Jo Chrabasz, 28, of Norridge, spends her Monday nights at Circle Lanes. “I was excited to join a bowling team. Bowling with my team has been a lot of fun. I’ve also improved my bowling skills dramatically since the league started two weeks ago,” she said.




Junior Joe Merkel has bowled with DU for three years. “I have no bowling skills at all,” he said. “I live in Chicago but like to come here to spend time with my friends.” Junior Liz Droel also comes for the fun. “I’ve been with the intramural league on and off for the last three years,” she said. “I’m still as bad of a bowler I was freshman year, but I come to have fun with my friends.”


“It’s fun to chat and see the students off-campus, out of their normal environment,” Costello said. “I’m really surprised by this year’s talent. We’ve got some really good bowlers!” Freshman Alfonso Mevilles (center) said, “I’ve been bowling all my life and I’ve always loved it. It’s finally nice to have some good competition out on the lanes.”



When each tournament is finished, Costello tallies up the scores. “We keep track as every game goes,” she said. “The intramural bowlers will be judged on their team’s score as well as their individual performance.” Student Involvement will award the winning teammates a Student Involvement t-shirt. The individual winner will receive a $20 Border’s gift card. “The bowlers play for love of the game and to hang out with friends,” Costello said. “A little incentive is always nice, though.”

No comments: