Wednesday, October 8, 2008

LAST NIGHT: The Debates, My Photographer and your Response

Just a little FYI, but I help run Concordia University's student-governed television station.


Last night, my photographer, Drew, and I set out to cover a NON-PARTISAN, NON-BIASED story regarding how students feel about the up-coming election. Unfortunately we were unable to find a large group of students watching the debate because no one decided to organize a collective viewing on either campus. However we were on a mission. Shoot as much as sound as possible and worry about getting B-roll later (it was dark and rainy outside so wouldn't want to use it anyway). With no large group to interview, we headed for the res halls.


Once we got there, and yes! we had to properly check-in and give our id's, we did a little investigative reporting. I commute and don't hang out in the res halls so I don't really know who lives where. Drew and I went to each floor of Centennial listening for the debate. We were able to speak with everyone watching and they all let us into their rooms/suites for on-camera interviews. I was actually surprised to find out that students were actually watching the debates. Same thing at Concordia. We invaded the res halls and everyone was willing to go on-camera with their political views.


I was surprised at the reaction from students. A little more than half have very strong opinions and know who they're voting for next month. However, I was surprised to find out that a little less than half were still uncertain of who to vote for.


Once my story airs, I'll definetly provide a link for you to access. Thanks for your patience!

No comments: