Saturday, October 4, 2008

Security on a Thursday night



This Thursday I was actually at school hanging out with some friends. It was around 1:00 in the morning and we decided to run an arrand. When we returned to the residence halls, we went to another friend's room on the 4th floor of Power Hall. Instead of walking all through the dorms, we had our friend come meet us out back to open the door...there's a back door which students can exit but can't enter, at least they're not supposed to. We took the short cut and a security guard happened to be right there. My friend said that we were just going to go in and security, smoking his cigarette, was cool with it.


I'm a commuter and don't spend a lot of time hanging out on campus. The security guard wasn't familiar with my face and I have never seen him before. What if I was a terrorist or psycho or something other than normal? I didn't go through any kind of i.d. check and entered illegally through a non-accessible door. How safe is the campus when the security guard could care less about who's coming and going without the proper identification process through a door no one's supposed to enter?


Photo from http://www.comicshq.net/cartoon-view.php?id=37&by=mitch

2 comments:

Megan Moriarity said...

I completely agree with you Natalie, but to look on the brighter side a security camera is located right within that door, so security knows who comes and in out. The TV is located in the Coughlin Commons front desk. I suppose if you really did cause trouble, they would have you on camera. Wether they care is a different story...

Also, just a side note on residence hall security. According to one of the security guards, the RA's actually have more power in the resident halls than the security guards. The RA's can tell security what to do in certain situations. In this case, the security guard probably didn't care because it is the responsibility of Res Life with the assistance of Security once the matter is in the dorms.

Charlotte Mutesha said...

That is a little disturbing, though, because although they may capture all visitors on camera, it only takes a few seconds to create havoc or commit a crime! Maybe Natalie has an advantage because she doesn't LOOK suspicious, but still, that's no excuse. I don't live on campus, but I might be a little worried if I knew random people were coming and going in the residence halls. When I went to Northern, you couldn't get past the front desk without submitting an ID.